Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Photography Post 19

Photography Post 19

Portraits. 

I absolutely love photographing portraits of people. Its so amazing to capture the essence of a person in a lense, or with a paintbrush, or under a pencil. I actually started taking photos of my friends with a little "identity project" I started after Christmas. My project involved each person coming up with words or phrases that meant something to them, or contributed to their life story in some way, then physically writing them on their bodies:







I absolutely loved playing with lighting, and most of my portraits involved me having a flashlight in my hand, in my mouth, on my head--whatever was available in order for me to still hold the camera!

I think adding people's identities through physical words made my voice so much more potent, as well as their voice. It made a unique work of art, rather than a slightly blurry grandmotherly photo of someone. I hope to continue pursuing identity in my photography and art, because that's one of my favorite things to do!

Favorite thing about portraits: the people! the stories!

Least favorite thing about portraits: accidentally taking ugly pictures of people! having to pretend i'm not vain when people help me set up self portraits!


--Kelsey



No comments:

Post a Comment