Taking a photography class is just like everything else in life--
You get out of it what you put into it.
Many people struggled to keep up with the photo-shoots, blog posts, Photoshop assignments and whatever other crazy shenanigans Mrs. Hahn threw our way. I, however, because of the chaotic mess I am, really enjoyed the structure and routine this class provided. I was able to thoroughly explore the technical sides of photography (wait, how do I hold a camera again?) as well as the creative stuff (what's a voice? Don't people use that to sing? You can't talk in a picture!)
Here's a miniature portfolio of my less-displayed works: both successful and.. less than successful.
Here's one from our Scanography unit. Honestly, I was enthralled by this unit and debated buying my own scanner for photography purposes..... Not sure how pleased my parents would be about that one. I really enjoyed experimenting with the composition of this piece: placing the flowers just so, letting my hair fall to one side, making sure my breath wasn't fogging up the glass, focusing on rule of thirds and textures and all those nonsensical things. Over all, the compositional strategies were rather nice because it wasn't a scene completely congested in the center of the picture. I would, however, edit it some more in Photoshop to project more of my voice into the piece-- I want to convey more calming emotion than the piece has currently.
This piece was not as succesful as the first. In an attempt to
juxtapose the car's miniature tires and the real-life mega-huge actual sized tires, I tried to create a successful layout that didn't focus on the actual bodies of the cars-- just the tires. Though rule of thirds is evident, the piece still isn't as easy-on-the-eye as I had hoped and, though an okay shot, not the absolute best I've ever taken.
Let's talk about sunlight for a moment!
During the course of this year, I've noticed a common theme in my later pieces. After we had our Noun Photo-shoot (where I made the wonderful decision to shoot Eloquent Sunlight), I've found sunlight so much more appealing to capture with a camera lense! I find sunlight so innocent-- the way it trickles through cracks, and gracefully dances and glides across window screens, through curtains, onto floors. When I watch sunlight dance, I feel like I'm back on the ABC circle rug in kindergarden, looking out the window at the bright, sparkly morning. I hope some of that voice is portrayed in my sunlight photos-- after all, the sun makes me feel good so I want to make my viewers feel good too!
Both of these pieces are rather successful and interesting to look at. There's so much texture on the dirty glass and the rusty chain, and it really keeps the audience captivated. Plus I just really love the color palette in both pictures! If anything, I'd crop the second picture just a little bit so there's no distraction and the chain is completely on the right (since rule of thirds is actually my best friend).
And now here's some nature! I find morning nature photography so invigorating and refreshing. It breaks me away from my normal mundane routines and it makes me remember exactly what life is all about! I'd like to think that the way I capture what I see forces the viewer to see more than just an ordinary rock or tree. I find nature so breathtakingly beautiful and I want my viewers to be blown away by this wonderful world in the same way I am.
All three pieces focus on some kind of texture out in nature. They're rather up close and personal, so the depth of field (specifically for the outer two) makes them even more intriguing. I love the way the light shines on the middle piece (after all, I am a sucker for sunlight) and, if anything, I'd want to make the moss a little more focused and the background less focused.
Overall, photography has opened a door for me into a whole new artsy realm in which I can learn and grow. I can hardly leave the house without a camera anymore-- just in case I see something that blows me away! Mrs. Hahn was a super fun teacher to share my voice with (wacky art teacher vibes are always the best, you know) and I loved the class. PLUS now I can make super artsy Twitter aesthetics with my own photography... Which was definitely the goal, right?
--Kelsey

No comments:
Post a Comment