Thursday, February 25, 2016

AP Concentration

AP Concentration


AP. It's quite a beast. Taking on twelve fully developed artworks with a common theme... That's a lot harder than it sounds. So what's the theme, Kelsey? you're probably asking.* Well, don't be impatient, I'll tell you! *if you weren't asking, just pretend you were to make me feel better

My theme is American Women's Roles and Beauty through time. Women, as a gender, have gone from property, to products, to people in the last century. So I'm trying to capture the general mindset of women as time goes on, decade by decade. My first two pieces, 1900-1920, are rather similar. The biggest difference between them is one woman is absolutely and completely property... and the other is allowed to vote.. though she definitely is not free. Society was still completely under the spell of white male privilege, so though she got one new freedom... it was still a man's world.
   1900-1910
  "Kitchen"

1910-1920
"Where Are My Rights"

I've been experimenting with watercolor and Tempera paint (as well as reuniting with my old friend, pencil) so I'm super exciting to see where this concentration goes!

--Kelsey 





No comments:

Post a Comment