I've been making art since I was a child. Like, as soon as my chubby little fingers could wrap around that crayon, there I was: drawing on walls, scribbling on tables, doodling on myself.
But I have a hard time learning how to get better.
Sometimes the best art isn't the most beautifully-executed nor the most elegantly displayed. The best art is the kind that has a message. The kind that's significant. The kind that makes someone stop and feel their entire perspective shift, even just a tiny bit. It stirs up emotions: sometimes good, sometimes rather hard to swallow.
If I could appeal to people, even in the less-beautiful ways—like Banksy or other street artists—I'd feel truly successful.
"Cups"
"Abstract"
"Castles In The Air"
"Youth"
It's been a huge challenge to really create that message in my art. If I could just affect people the way they affect me—now, that would be amazing.
I worked with acrylic and watercolor this semester in painting. Watercolor, though I've done it before, is an entirely new beast to tame. One mistake and BOOM. The entire piece changes. I'm not sure I'll ever be a watercolor aficionado.
The acrylic landscape, however, was a whole different story. I never thought of myself as an acrylic fan, but I am absolutely in love with the look and the feel and the expression in it! I'm rather proud of it and it's message.
As for next semester, I really want to start putting more of myself into my work. I feel like I'm jipping my audience when I don't have a message, a theme, a greater idea. Technique isn't enough.
--Kelsey




No comments:
Post a Comment