Alright, let's discuss the seven holy characteristics of creative thinking! (Cue audience's excited clapping and cheering)
1. Receptivity- being open to new ideas
Artists must definitely be open to new things! It's great when an artist has mastered one skill... Maybe hyper realistic art or black and white photography... But they need to try lots of new things so the audience doesn't get bored and so they grow! I constantly do new things (even though I'm apt to failing)
2. Attentiveness- every experience has potential value
Umm, obviously this is important! If I wasn't an attentive artist, I'd still be drawing sharpie cartoon characters. I wouldn't have any of the skill I've built up!
3. Conviction- tenaciously pursuing independent paths
Okay, I'm not too sure about this one. Though working independently is great, artists ought to still be open to all of the great work of others! Without other people, nobody can
amount to anything!
4. Curiosity- enjoy the unfamiliar
Artists should definitely be curious! If you want to develop an art form about the world around you, then you have to study the world around you! Never be afraid of trying something new!
5. Wide range of interests
Artists should definitely have lots of different interests. If you're a pencil sketcher and you like baseball and you also enjoy knitting with your toes while scuba diving with water buffalo, obviously you're going to receive a lot more audience interest than someone who lives, breathes, eats and sleeps one singular object.
6. Seeks connections everywhere
If you think that everything is valuable (because you're attentive) and you learn a whole bunch (because you're receptive), then why on earth would you not make connections with your art?! That's crazy talk!
7. Complexity- irrational + intuitive
Artists have to deal with the unexpected-- audiences are more likely to respond to an artist with wacky irrational ideas than an artist that plays something safe. It's great when an artist knows when to go for some crazy new idea or just to play it safe for a while.
So there you go, artists. These are all things to put on your shopping list the next time you look for some new traits.
Have a great weekend (and a fabulous Fine Arts Friday!)
--Kelsey
No comments:
Post a Comment