And here, in this beautiful place, I have found it, just as I find it in every place I ever have been, and every place I ever will be.
My own little slice of heaven.
Today, we're gonna take a look at my Drawing final (which I ironically decided to paint).
The prompt was to create a self-portrait, 18" x 24", that was inspired by another artist's style/theme/ideas/experiences/etc.
I chose van Gogh, a significant artist who I identify with in both technique and in symbolism. Created with the grid technique and acrylic paints, my piece mimics the style in which he painted.
His thick, heavy brushstrokes are an obvious influence. Like with divisionism—an influence on van Gogh's style—there is an emphasis on pure spots of color that become more blended and smooth the farther away you are from the piece.
I feel a personal connection to van Gogh in message as well. His color schemes always portrayed a mood; whether of unbelievable happiness or the deepest, darkest depression imaginable, his pieces make people feel. My piece captures the essence of me, just as his capture the essence of him.
Van Gogh also emphasized spirituality, and the connection between people and the earth in his pieces: usually pieces with landscapes and farmers. I, too, feel a deep connection between myself and the land we live on, and I hold deep appreciation for this message and the style in which van Gogh portrayed it.
My piece's warmth of color and expression is much subtler and softer than that of van Gogh's, but I hope to make the piece my own, rather than just mimicking something of his. My goal is to reveal the appeal of the lighter aspects of life.
It is the essence of me.
--Kelsey

No comments:
Post a Comment