Relationships are a piece of pie. Apple pie, to be exact. Super awesome apple pie with caramel and cashews on top.
Fall Break has been simply amazing, and some of that must be blamed on the weekend I spent with my sweet ISU Sycamore.
As a young adult, I've had to work through the guilt of not always spending time with my family. As a young adult, I have to prioritize my time, dividing it and spreading it around-- and I have a habit of spreading myself too thin. So I'm working on doing what makes me happy without feeling guilty about it.
So, two and a half days with my family, and two and a half days with my sweetheart. Let's just say ISU was quite the adventure.
I got to explore the campus, taking pictures like a tourist (to the amusement of my boyfriend). I adored the "goldfish pond", an adorable little waterscape filled with happy lil koi fish!
I got to meet some of his buddies, and I got to spend some quality time with my best friend. It was pretty rad, to say the least. There's been so much growth in our relationship with this distance, and it's kinda funny to see how much we've matured in a couple months time.
And yet, we're just as goofy as always.
During the spring, as he began to grow more and more interested in political science (which is now his major field of study), I struggled to understand his views and his passion. He and I were raised very differently, and the political differences between us were no exception.
All my life, I was raised believing that people on the opposite end of the political spectrum from me were less intelligent than me. And it's hard to come to terms with the fact that I'M the close-minded one, when I think like that.
So, I've grown a lot in that aspect of my life. I definitely consider myself an independent when it comes to politics, because I refuse to be limited by either party. I'm becoming more informed, and I'm making an honest effort to understand the views of everyone-- even if I disagree. Everybody's got their own reasons for thinking the ways they do, and I love exploring people's ideas and opinions and passions, even if it's not necessarily a passion of mine.
It's interesting being able to discuss my passion with someone who has a completely different passion, and a completely different viewpoint than me. It's kinda funny how these things work out, huh?
--Kelsey
No comments:
Post a Comment